Gallery

Phoebe

Viewed 1249 Times

Recent Topics

Please Donate

Help us help Bull Terriers

THANK YOU!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2018, 01:44:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 53
  • Latest: lala
Stats
  • Total Posts: 30212
  • Total Topics: 2428
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 171
  • (November 11, 2012, 05:25:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

Author Topic: Roy Hattersley  (Read 475 times)

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Roy Hattersley
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:22:33 pm »
Now this is a guy who knows his bull terrier........

This is Jakie and me in my back garden in the Peak District. Jakie is an English Bull Terrier – and a rescue dog who was found wandering around Bolsover on Boxing Day nearly eight years ago.....

...We’re careful on walks because if he sees another dog he gets bad-tempered. We’ve travelled together by car from Derbyshire to London and he’s a marvellous passenger because he gets inside and goes to sleep straightaway........

....He also has these adrenalin rushes where he suddenly runs madly around the place. For example, he’ll take off upstairs where we have a large drawing room with sofas on either side and he’ll jump on them both for two minutes and then go off to sleep – often in his own little place in the kitchen........

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/883944/Writer-Roy-Hattersley-favourite-photograph

Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX

Offline Clare Kearley

• Trusted Member
Re: Roy Hattersley
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 10:25:10 pm »
Oh this is lovely Ruth - I love his gentle dialogue when describing Jakie! "he get's bad-tempered on walks when he see's another dog' and the 'adrenaline rush' he talks about when we call it bully laps - I do love it when Violet does these and the way we all have to stand like statues when she does them - Bless  :-* :-*

Offline Clare Kearley

• Trusted Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 10:34:42 pm »
The article you posted is beautiful and this part really resonated with me

"The day Buster died was the worst day of my life and my wife Maggie and I said we’d never have a dog again – until we decided we couldn’t live without one".

There's so much in the article that I can relate to especially the part which states he wanted to dog he could go for walks on but the Jakie doesn't want to go on those walks - it reminds me so much of Billy and Violet - thank you for posting it really made me smile  :) :)

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:33:25 pm »
Fandabidozy....His wife....MOLLY Hatersly...used to be my headmistress when I was at SECONDARY SCHOOL...hurlingham comprehensive near parson green Fulham...off of wandsworth bridge road....I was there from 1970...to 1976...now im showing my age...I wonder if she is still alive!!!...Darling Bullie :-*

Offline Clare Kearley

• Trusted Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:14:27 pm »
I think she must be - because in the article he talks about how he and his wife decided they couldn't live without another dog and then the 'checklist' they drew up when going to get their new rescue dog. I think you can tell from the article that it's his first bull terrier! I think he is a novice owner... and considering he's in his eighties I think this is a very inspirational story.

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:44:37 pm »
I think he is a novice bullie owner, but what a lovely accepting one. His Jake sounds like Archie who also gets 'bad tempered' when he sees another dog - My description would be more along the lines of a screeching whirling dervish but we can go with 'bad tempered'  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Archie is also a complete sweetheart with any human.

I also like the description of an adrenalin rush -I refer to it as their mad five minutes or their bullie runs - in the States they call it hucklebutting ;) ;) ;)
XX

Offline Clare Kearley

• Trusted Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:13:30 pm »
We always call it 'bully laps', when we had Billy we called it 'Billy bonkers' It's quite alarming and funny when they do it though!! Violet doesn't do it as much as Billy but when she does her bully laps she manages to knock off cushions from the sofa and she runs from room to room often messing up the beds too - it is funny though I shout 'stand still and don't make eye contact with the dog' my husband and son were pretty freaked out the first time she did it as neither of them saw it with Billy as he was in his senior years by then - also I think it stops when they get older? not sure what others think?....

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 10:31:13 pm »
Archie has never really been one for Bullie runs - he has done a few but now he is older when he is really happy on a walk he will chase his tail whirling round in circles for a few minutes. Then he stops and doesn't do again till the next Ashdown walk! :P :P probably expends less energy than a full on bullie run.

Lucy loved to do them - charging around on and off the bed or round the room jumping on and off the sofa - she rarely did them outside though. ??? ??? ???
XX

Offline BulliesRBest

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 10:50:54 pm »
polls used to do them all the time but being a lady of a certain age now she doesnt do them anymore.......i miss them tho........they meant she was soooo excited or sooo happy......... ;D ;D

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 06:29:15 pm »
Yes...Phoebe does the sofa run...I call it...boinging from one to the other with great gusto...has never done the tailspinning that dear old Toddy Boy did...but also jumps up and down like a loony kangaroo...bouncing up and down...itrs hilarious...everyone laugh at her when we are out as she tries to reach the squirrels in the trees....LOL

Offline Clare Kearley

• Trusted Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 10:28:29 pm »
Violet does a daily tail spin and I would say a monthly bullie lap/adrenalin rush! I always shout out 'get your tail' or 'shoot the crazy dog' when she does her tail spins - don't know why? It just seems to be part of our daily dialogue!! Please reassure me that I am not alone when it comes to this sort of nonsense!!!  ???

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »
Toddy used to tail spin...Phoebe doesn't....but does loads of other mad stuff....LOL :)

Offline B.ORCHID

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »
Lovely picture and Roy sounds so loving about his Bullie

Offline soosiesu

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:12:17 pm »
true bullie lover ;D ;D ;D