Gallery

Phoebe

Viewed 161 Times

Recent Topics

Please Donate

Help us help Bull Terriers

THANK YOU!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2017, 08:08:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 43
  • Latest: james
Stats
  • Total Posts: 29358
  • Total Topics: 2323
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 171
  • (November 11, 2012, 05:25:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 34
Total: 35

Author Topic: What do you feed your bullie?  (Read 2711 times)

snapdragon

What do you feed your bullie?
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »
And for what reason did you choose your preferred diet for your dog?
Been thinking about dog diets and thought I'd post this.
Seeing as how I'm the nosey so & so asking the question I 'll start with my lots diet.

Human grade meat...... assorted........ 2 of my dogs have cooked meat and 2 have raw.
Alaskan Pollock
Tuna in spring water (drained) - once a week
Sardines (drained) twice a week
Raw eggs - once a week
Assorted veg but nothing gas causing - Living with Buzz is bad enough without 4 bullies farting their guts out as well, Lol.   
Small amounts of fruit like apple, banana, pear etc
Potatoes & Sweet potatoes cooked in skins.
Cottage cheese - once a week
Quorn - chicken style pieces -  not instead of meat but alongside it
Porridge oats....dry and mixed with their meals...keeps them firm and good for cholesterol  levels.
Sterilized Bone meal for calcium and a high quality fish oil in spray form.
 B vitamins and zinc tablets.

Think that's about it but will edit and add if I remember anything else.....I just do it so automatically now I have to stop and think what exactly  it is I do feed them.

Nearly forgot -  the reason I chose this diet is because I think it's more of a natural  and healthy way for my dogs to eat and I believe (wrongly or right) that feeding my poor Riva on a dried diet for years caused her Kidney problems. I very naively believed the vets when they sold me hills zd for her IBD and skin problems (her skin never got better on that diet anyway)  I will never again feed a commercial diet..... the guilt I feel over my little girl is very painful to say the least.

Kim xxx

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:39:53 pm by snapdragon »

thestrongmanswife

Re: What do you feed your bullie?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:53:30 pm »
Bugger me!! really you feed them all that???
Should i be remortgaging now lol.
As a rough idea how much of each would i give daisy doo as im a measurments kinda gal  ;)
need to have a good idea of what you mix together etc and how much,otherwise im gona be giving her something she aint gona like  ;)
am going shopping tom so if your not toooo busy wafting the farts away,could you mail it me,might have a go at that food thingy,less shit sounds good to me lol xx

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:28:55 pm »
Lucy's diet is supplemented by a couple of small flat tins of sardine in vegetable oil (drained) but both shared with my cat so I guess that is one tin a week, a cod liver oil capsule daily with garlic and glucosomine for her old joints, a small tin of tuna a week (drained) again shared with my cat. Meat and bones from farmers market or supermarket like chicken wings

Also another point to note if you feed the raw food diet and use tripe - it must not be human grade tripe from supermarkets as this bleached and chemically treated to make it look white and more appetising. Tripe for dogs is nasty bluey grey colour and can be bought from PAH or ordered online.

The main reason for avoiding commercial dog food is the high cereal / ash content and the additives - not good for Bullies skin or for their temperment.
Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX

Offline BulliesRBest

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:49:24 pm »
Polly has porridge oats for breakfast with fruit and a little skimmed milk with water added and a cup of tea! She loves it.  :P

snapdragon

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »
Mel I don't feed all of that to my bullies all at once, everyday I just try to vary their diet as much as their tummies will allow.

As for the amounts I really can't tell you much as each dogs energy needs is different and I just give my gang what looks right you'll soon get to know how much Daisy will need..... you just have use your judgement and give what you think is right if she starts losing weight give her more if she puts on too much weight cut back a bit.

As a general rule for adult bullies the meat proportions is 500 grams per day..... I spread mine over 3 meals...... the rest of the ingredients is just guess work...... fresh fruit and veg I only give very small amounts and only once a day or my lot get the runs.

Try tripe from the freezer in the pet shops for her,  they do other frozen meats too and even these would be better than dried food.....mine don't get on with it but lots of bullies do...not too often with the tripe though as it is very fatty......some feed raw chicken wings but when I fed them I  used a meat grinder to grind them up I could not give them whole like some do as I was afraid of choking and blockages. Just didn't want to risk it.

The thing is Mel, this diet suits my dogs and their particular  needs.......you may have to do some trial and error to find what suits Daisy best.

Give it a whirl you'll soon become an expert at feeding your own dog and she will be healthier for it....she is young....not like my poor buggers they had bad starts and spent too long eating the wrong food so they can't have the variety I'd like them to have as their guts can't take it.

Stay way from wheat and its by products at first and see how she goes...you can always add it in later and see what happens.

Google natural diets for dogs...there are a lot of diets out there.

If you really can't cope with home prepared then at least try and stay away from dried food......you could as I said earlier try the pet shop frozen mince or there is a wet food called Nature Diet that is supposed to be additive free.

C'mon woman, stop being such a wimp and give it a go...Daisy will thank you for it. You don't have to measure..... fling it all in and watch Daisy gobble it up.

Good Luck.

Kim xxx
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:20:51 pm by snapdragon »

Offline MARK

• Trusted Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:59:39 pm »
Excellent - Well said Snapdragon I totally agree with what you have said.

thestrongmanswife

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »
Lol, i have just read your post after whining on at you down the phone yesterday tee hee!   ::)
I will give it a go, i have benn and bought a few packs of frozen meat to was gradually gona introduce it in with her dried stuff.........is that the right thing to do Dr Kim???
She told me to put one teaspoon full in with each meal.......yey or ney?   :-\
Any way gota go do walkies now so see ya all laters  :-*  :-*  :-*   :-*

snapdragon

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 01:28:29 pm »
There are different schools of thought re changing dogs diet...some say add a bit into the existing diet and change over gradually others say just go for it and change immediately.....I'm the latter......changing gradually may be ok with other breeds but bull terriers can have dodgy tummies....people who work in pet shops and have had no first hand dealings with bullies can't really comment........remember what I told you on the phone... dried food digests at a much slower rate then real food......when you mix it together it may cause tummy upset. as the stomach is trying to deal with what is in the gut all at once......remember too that I told you she may seem a bit loose on the new diet for a few days......this is normally because her body is detoxing and should settle after a while.

Kim xxx

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 01:35:57 pm »
Having spoken to my diet expert - I would have to agree with Dr Kim - the big bang approach is the best for young dogs. She may turn her nose up at first and be a bit wary (unlikely, but a possibily with things like fresh bones) however if you persevere - a hungry dog will have a good try at anything - trust me, a Bullie will never starve if there is an edible option!
Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX