Gallery

Phoebe

Viewed 160 Times

Recent Topics

Please Donate

Help us help Bull Terriers

THANK YOU!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2017, 07:51:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 43
  • Latest: james
Stats
  • Total Posts: 29358
  • Total Topics: 2323
  • Online Today: 29
  • Online Ever: 171
  • (November 11, 2012, 05:25:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

Author Topic: Our new bully - Bodger  (Read 1684 times)

Bodger boo

Our new bully - Bodger
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:57:41 am »
We have recently taken on a Bull Terrier - Bodger.

We would really, really appreciate any help/advice that you can give.  This is a new breed for me - only ever had a Staffy before.

Bodge is 12 months old (rehome 2 months ago) until then he was caged (he had bald patches on his tail and head - these have now gone and he seems much happier in himself).  Unfortunately he is still caged due to his really bad behaviour but would love some info re getting him to settle in the home without destroying everything.  When he arrived he was still an entire dog thus we have had him castrated - def calmer, but he has his moments - when walking he'll just take off like a mad thing and run circles round me or whoever is walking him - you need to be really strong to keep on your feet? why?  We are currently trying to get him to run off some energy by recalling him (attached to a long lead) but he just bites the lead and then tries to mouth us.  We have tried a muzzle but when we let him off the lead he spends all his energy / time trying to remove it!  We do walk him on the lead loads every day and he is getting much better when around traffic - originally he would lie down whenever a vehicle passed so we didn't walk much in the beginning!

I'm also wondering about diet - had various suggestions - some say dried others fresh?

we have enrolled him in an older puppy class but he's too interested in the other dogs to listen lol.

On his own (when in a calm state) he does listen and with treats we can get him to sit, down (but not stay).

I knew he would be hard work.

Any help/advice would be wonderful coz he is a gorgeous boy - just too much at times.

Offline BetsyLou

• Trusted Member
Re: Our new bully - Bodger
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:37:51 pm »
typicul bully...i not experience to give advice sumone else will .... bullies like to run wen they v v happy ;)

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »
Firstly well done for rehoming a needy bullie, bit late but as you have found out they are totally different to the staffie breed :D :D

the following link has a nice ddescription of EBTs - I have also copied a bit below you may be interested in

http://bullterriers.co.uk/html/about_bull_terriers.html

Bull Terriers have two characteristics which are unique to the breed. The first is that they ‘trance’ (or ‘ghost walk’ or ‘weed walk’). Trancing mode is turned on by walking under a bush so that the leaves tickle the dog’s back. The dog’s eyes glaze and movement is in ultra slow motion; the dog almost looks as though it is stalking prey whilst sleep walking. A bush is not essential, they will do it under a table cloth if it hangs down to the right level, or perhaps the family Christmas tree. Don’t tell your vet about this - few vets know anything about the breed and they would only want to refer your dog to a neurologist (and probably you to a psychiatrist).

In sharp contract, the second unique activity takes place at top speed. It is variously called ‘freaking’, a ‘mad five’ or in the USA ‘hucklebutting’. The dog suddenly takes off at full speed and sprints all over the house, round rooms, in and out of furniture, often in a figure of eight. The best ‘freaks’ involve going at full speed head first towards a wall/door/piece of furniture, and then at the last minute doing a half turn to slam sideways into the obstacle, bouncing off it and then continuing at full speed. This activity usually last for two or three minutes only, though it can be triggered or prolonged with a little encouragement. Freaking is an effective way of removing the legs from delicate antiques or denting the fridge door. During these displays all humans should remain perfectly still - the dog will aim to miss them. Similarly, when sprinting in the garden a BT considers it funny to run a full speed straight for you, then at the last second swerve to miss. It is extremely important for their humans not to lose their nerve and try to side step - going the wrong way will result in some very bruised legs!

In my experience Bullies are chewers but usually stop around the 18 months / 2 years of age, however each bullie is different as it also depends on whether your bullie is bored - in which case he may chew, whether he is under exercised - in which case he may chew, if he is left alone for long periods - in which case he may chew, whether he knows there is something good he wants to reach if he could just get through that door - in which case he may chew, whether he has worked out it is a good way to get your attention (good or bad) - in which case he may chew, whether all of the above have formed a habit in him - in which case he may chew ;D
Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »
Dont muzzle him unless he is dangerously aggressive, it is unnecessary and wont stop him doing whatever you are trying to stop him doing, he will just do it as soon as the muzzle is removed, and you end up muzzling him for longer, it is a vicious circle and not one worth starting, likewise crating, for short periods of time perhaps, I dont crate and would rather have a dedicated room (like the kitchen) where they can stay when i go out. After awhile they have the run of the house as you can trust them - well apart from the odd relapse ;)

Bull Terriers puppies are famous for mouthing and without correction will carry this on to adulthood - not so funny as you are finding out. Distraction, ignoring and turning your back, if necessary a water spray and a firm no are all techniques that may work, choose one that works first time and STICK with it. DO NOT make it a battle of wills with a bull terrier - you will not win and will lose his respect - bullies love company the worse thing you can do is ignore a bullie.

Diet - there are alot of RAW food or homecooked food advocates on here - IMO bullies do not do well on commercial dry food, there are plenty of sites that can advise you on ratios and a few threads on here in the 'Ask or offer advice' board.

The bullie is not for the fainthearted but if he has already got under your skin then stick with it, kindness and consistency and distraction work best rather than punishments, you will end up with the best dog in the world.

For proper full on training advice then try the link on our training page for a bullie experienced trainer, not all training methods work with bullies and not all trainers understand them properly but yours just sounds like he needs to learn a few do and donts and still is at the naughty puppy stage which incidentally will last longer the more he is crated :D

These are only my opinions of course.

Good luck and kisses to little Bodger (from the incredible journey right?)

PS have changed your status so you can post anywhere on the board ;D
Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX

Offline soosiesu

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »
Sound advice from ruth..... we got marley when he was an awful lot older than bodger and had a hard time with him at first ..............but as ruth said consistency and a water spray worked wonders 8) .............bodger is just a puppy he can easily be trained out of his bad habits :-[

also to help with the chewing try stag bars........ they are 100% natural......... dont cause tummy upsets............ dont break into bits and dont stain the floor......... there was a thread on here with a link on where to buy them..... get the big one ???

marley loved his.....then went off it and ignored it............ and is now loving it again ;D

welcome by the way ;D ;D
Soosiesu

casso

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 03:52:22 pm »
Sound advice as always from my
Cyber wife I've been around bullys
Know for six years and I'm still
Having breakdowns :-X :-X there is know
Getting to the bottom of this mad mad mad
Mad breed every min hour day week
Is never the same I loved staffs still do
But compared to this breed its like watching
Paint dry stick with it the grief they cause
You is worth it

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:29:30 pm »
Welcome to the site Bodger Boo! ...the advice ruth has given you is sound.....and the best...stick with it though and you will have a true friend for life....although your life will never be the same again...but well done for adopting the best breed there is....and giving a little bullie another chance....good luck and keep us posted :)

Offline B.ORCHID

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:10:44 am »
Great advice Ruth.
Bullies are a lovely breed and I care for Archie Ruth's dog week days however Alison I do love other breeds and they all have their place especially my Sally the Jack Russell who adores Archie...just saying ;D

Offline BulliesRBest

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 11:26:03 am »
welcome to the mad mad world of bullies............. a unique breed........... my partner Rob was into bullies since childhood but my Polls was my introduction to the breed..........i feel for you it really is a baptism of fire :) :) :) but i wouldnt be without her and sorry b.orchid i wouldnt have another breed now :D :D

Offline Petra

• Trusted Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 01:33:05 pm »
he is still only a baby........... follow the advice and the diet and he will settle down..... he is old enuff now to have long walks.... a tired bull terrier is a good bull terrier!!! ;) ;)

Bodger boo

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 02:34:29 pm »
Thanks everyone who has commented thus far - very encouraging.  Will certainly let you know how we get on and will post some pics soon.  Will def try the stag bars - watch this space......

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »
Sorry Lorraine...im not biast...as you know I love all breeds of dog like you and all animals like you ;D....and adore little sally...but you know what I mean.....whatever type we had I would probably say the same...as toddy is only our second bullie....but has changed our lives so much...he really has....most definetly a mould breaker!!! Anyway little sally is a terrier through and through....so in the same stamp as our bullies ;D

Cauthar

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 08:52:23 pm »
How is your dog now? Has he responded to training?