Gallery

Phoebe

Viewed 164 Times

Recent Topics

Please Donate

Help us help Bull Terriers

THANK YOU!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 06:19:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 43
  • Latest: james
Stats
  • Total Posts: 29371
  • Total Topics: 2324
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 171
  • (November 11, 2012, 05:25:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34

Author Topic: A Fosterer's experience - Ted  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
A Fosterer's experience - Ted
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:48:53 pm »
Will post this up on the Website as well but thought I would post it here first - a lovely gentleman who fostered a Bullie and kept him on despite his problems, sent it to me - I was touched by the story and think you will be too.

TED

My new little chap is not the easiest, but we’re getting there.
He’s called Ted. And he’s not actually that little. He looks like a teddy bear, likes a cuddle, but has a growl like a grizzly. And he growls a lot. It’s his hobby!

Ted was supposed to be a foster, but he was never going anywhere else. An emotionally fragile little fellow, who hardly ever wagged his tail, had arrived. To be fair, in most areas he’s a lot easier than “little Nancy” was. [I’d still love to get my hands on the person who abused little Nancy, but that’s another story.]  Physically he’s in far better shape. I feel he’s a victim of ignorance not malice, but this can be just as destructive for a Bully.           

I can only guess as to why he lacks social skills with both people and other dogs. A highly strung, nervous Bully is not easy to bring up, but mistakes have definitely been made, and Ted is all the poorer for it. However, we’ve achieved the first goal of getting him settled and secure, and a rewarding process it’s been.

As he can’t speak, his woes and worries are conveyed in typical doggy fashion. Growls and grumps, but who can blame him. I’ve had to learn very quickly, to understand his insecurities, to try and temper his propensity to guard his territory with considerable venom, and calm his “ball” obsession.

Like all Bullies he loves playing and cuddles, but nothing is straightforward with Ted. He can decide to retain the ball and not put it down for 6 hours or more, resulting in a highly charged Bully  hurtling around the house for what seems like an eternity. I haven’t worked out the rules of this particular game. Ted loves it, my furniture isn’t so sure!

A big Bully sat on your lap is also fine, but he can suddenly get insecure. This side of him has improved so much of late, though I have to try and read his body language and continually reassure him.

But let’s not dwell on the negatives. He’s a Bully. A beautiful chap, intelligent, with boundless energy and as daft as they come. I wish he’d leave the tree pruning to me though! I don’t want any more large branches in the dining room thank you. The muddy diagonal runway across the lawn I could also do without, but suspect that’s here to stay. We’re on child gate number 6, but his desire to rule all the house is diminishing, and his forays upstairs are now rare. I’m a calm sort of fellow myself, but if he bashes me in the groin one more time I just might lose it! And “garden patrol” at 3 in the morning is just as unpopular with the neighbours as it is with me, but that’s now a rare event too. Life is never dull with a Bully.

He now wags that tail all the time and he’s here to stay. Bless him He’s not the easiest, but we’re gonna get there. 
Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX

Offline B.ORCHID

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: A Fosterer's experience - Ted
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:02:15 am »
What a wonderful story. ;D

Ted's Dad is a great man for perservering with Ted and Ted is getting better so his
efforts are all worthwhile.

I just wish there were more people like Ted's dad because we all know there are lots
of bullies who need the love, attention and efforts to bring out the best in them.

Offline lula-dallas

• Trusted Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:58:25 pm »
thats lovely

Offline BulliesRBest

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:46:59 pm »
Well done to Ted's Dad for giving a rescue Bullie a chance.  ;D

Offline MARK

• Trusted Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:59:31 am »
Thanks Ted's Dad great story

Offline Petra

• Trusted Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
Just seen this -what a lovely man!

brensas

Re:puppy ebt
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:34:37 pm »
i have a ebt named bullseye he is jam packed with energy sometimes i think to much energy lol just started to get up seat he is going to be a nightmire not like he alredy is lol ;D

Offline B.ORCHID

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:04:05 am »
Bullseye is a real cutie though :)

Offline ClareT3

• Trusted Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »
What great story.  He sounds great!!!

Offline soosiesu

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 02:35:24 pm »
Sometimes it is good to get new members posting - I had never seen this and it is a fantastic story.

I just tend to look at the unread posts since my visit link  :P
Soosiesu