Gallery

Phoebe

Viewed 383 Times

Recent Topics

Please Donate

Help us help Bull Terriers

THANK YOU!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:58:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 51
  • Latest: Cougan
Stats
  • Total Posts: 29646
  • Total Topics: 2358
  • Online Today: 49
  • Online Ever: 171
  • (November 11, 2012, 05:25:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 759 times)

Copperbottom

Introductions
« on: July 11, 2016, 04:27:34 pm »
Hi All,
A quick intro before the questions...
We are about to adopt a rescue Bull Terrier, yes we are so excited the whole family are looking forward to the happy day! My wife has had several Bull Terriers before but I have not, so the expert is going to be the wife. I have had other breeds and have experience with training and spending quality time with various dogs.  I am coming to realise there are a few extras with Bullies that the whole family is learning about before the special day :-) so watch this space for further updates.

So we are preparing ourselves for our VIP guest to arrive and have come across so many websites, with interesting tips on Bullies but our biggest question which we don't seem to have an answer to, or rather we have not found an answer too, is?

Training and leads, lots of advise from the pet shops especially the chain stores, but with Bullies are harnesses and leads better, or neck and nose leads? there are huge amounts to choose from, i know!  I am asking as we want to start off correctly and some trainers are saying one thing only to be out done by others.  So in your experience are Bullies better with harnesses or leads which go around the nose and neck??

Please feel free to answer as you see fit...

Best
Copperbottom

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:23:24 pm »
well our trainer recommends a half check collar always (never a chke chain) however (and I am sorry J!) but I have always used a harness with them. Dont even bother with a halti (the one that goes round the nose) ??? ??? The rescue who you are getting your bullie from should hopefully be able to advise you on what they have used or what your rescue bullie is used to.

I do understand the school of thought that thinks if you have a real puller putting a harness on them encourages them to pull more whereas a half check will remind them you are on the other end of the lead but with collars, even half check ones, I always feel in a 'situation' they can back out of them - due to some bullies having such large necks in comparison to the size of their heads :o

Depends on your dog really and on you. I have seen our trainer work wonders with a half check - a quick tug and the dog is walking to heel with a loose lead - never managed that one myself! :-[ :-[

If you are taking training advice make sure it is a trainer that has experience of English Bull Terriers - general dog training techniques dont work with bull terriers they are pretty unique that way. The only general advice I have is usually it is not a good idea to make it a battle of wills with a bullie, if you come down hard they will dig their proverbial heels in and you wont get anywhere :o

Anyway welcome to the board - I have changed your status to post anywhere on the board. Good luck with your new addition - enjoy 8) 8) 8)
Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX

Offline BulliesRBest

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:06:57 pm »
welcome welcome.......... enjoy your new family member........ 8) 8) 8)

good advice from ruth............our dogs are unique ;) ;) ;)

time out works well with polls......... she hates being ignored :-\ :-\ :-\

and for the record we have a harness for polls........a pretty pink one ;) ;) ;)

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 03:23:24 pm »
Yes....welcome...Copperbottom...we have had our rescue Toddy 4 years now...and up until about 6 months ago...always used the half check collar...as recommended by trainer Jeremy...but...and a big but...as Toddy is not dog tolerant...he was staring to choke himself badly...by pulling so much to get to another dog that a couple of times he literally choked himself...keeled over and collapsed...brad had to revive him...since these 2 incidents we got him a special harness made...you can see it in the pic in the gallery....its been brilliant and he doesn't pull at all now...he is 14 years old...but still wont tolerate another dog...but as Ruth says...its best to see what will work for you,,,,our previous bullie pulled like a train wit the harness on...and so the semi choke worked better for him...good luck though..im sure you will find the right solution :)

Offline soosiesu

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 01:32:22 pm »
Welcome.... ;D ;D ;D

marley has a half check..............and a harness............I tend to use the harness my OH prefers the half check.................. marley moo couldn't care less .............as long as he is going out for a walk 8) 8) 8) 8)
Soosiesu

Offline B.ORCHID

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 04:34:48 pm »
Hi and welcome

I look after Ruth's Archie in the week so I am Godmother and I have a Jack Russell called Sally who has met all bullies who have crossed Ruth's threshold over the years.
I walk Archie and Sally together and I find the harness to be easier.

Offline Petra

• Trusted Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 01:35:36 pm »
Hiya ;) ;) ;) I grew u with a bull terrier............my childhood bestie..............I am severely allergic to dog hair now  :( :( :( :( :( :( :(..............so I live vicariously through this site ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)