Gallery

Phoebe

Viewed 396 Times

Recent Topics

Please Donate

Help us help Bull Terriers

THANK YOU!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 11:10:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 51
  • Latest: Cougan
Stats
  • Total Posts: 29669
  • Total Topics: 2361
  • Online Today: 37
  • Online Ever: 171
  • (November 11, 2012, 05:25:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 43
Total: 44

Author Topic: Nippy....  (Read 408 times)

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Nippy....
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:45:14 pm »
Young phoebe seems to be rather nippy round the grandchildren...she is very bouncy with them...jumping up and nipping them...she follows them round and keeps jumping up...not bitting but licking and turning into a nip..it makes them cry and a bit scared of her,,,not vicious but cant work out why she is doing it...the baby is only 4 weeks old and we cant have her near him because of the jumping up...told her off but constantly by her as she follows kids about...(not just for food)...she seems very hyper round them...anyone got any suggestions on how to stop this or what to do with her...don't want to have to put her in another room as it will make her more inquisitive...HELP :o

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Nippy....
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:16:09 pm »
She is still very young and although she should have grown out of that nipping by now it sounds like she didn't have a lot of freedom where she was before so it is all coming out now. She is exhibiting puppy behaviour but she isn't a puppy anymore :o :o

I think she needs to be corrected gently, when she nips you need to say NO or OUCH to try and distract her. You could also try a toy that she likes, break the silliness by refocussing her on to a toy and lots of praise when she does. Or take her away from the situation for a few minutes - but let her back in after a few minutes so she doesn't get more excited and feel left out of resentful when the grandkids visit. If it is easier keep a harness or collar on her so you can stop her immediately but don't pull her back as that will heighten the excitement. Don't ignore it as she will get more and more excited with the energy the kids have running around

It would probably be good for you to speak to J as he knows her and it was through him you got he, so he may be able to suggest which method would work better for her ::)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:24:09 pm by Ruth »
Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX

Offline BulliesRBest

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
great advice...........also take her for a good walk beforehand so she is tired.............a tired bulie.....is a well behaved one  ;) ;) ;) ;)

good luck with the little one ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:36:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice...she was a lot better this weekend....only a couiple of nips...we shout her name and say NO..and she knows she has done wrong!!! I do think what you said Ruth ...puppy behaviour and not being used to the kids quite yet...we took her out with us and the kids on sunday to hockley woods...walked for miles then the kids went in the adventure park there...Brad waited outside with her..but she was as good as gold...she gets loads of exercise...and needs it..she is very hyper...brad said the same...don't think she got much...if any...where she was before... itake her out for 45 mins when I get in...then we both go together later on ...arouind 6.30 for another walk...thowing the ball for her to run too..always big on walks us...as you know Ruth..J didn't know her or the guy..only of them through someone else...a handler called kirsty...it was all through the grapevine...I don't vthink its a major issue as we have been correcting her and she knows it...she is a busy little mokley and wants to be in on all the action all the time...she sits on the sofa fine with them...walks with them fine..but as soon as they start their jumping ...screaming and running round like headless chickens...she jumps up...licks them then it turns into a nip...she does it to us with the exceitment when she licks our ears...then it turns into a nibble...I think she will calm down...im glad its what you said though Ruth...just couldn't quite work it out...now that you have spelled it out it makes sense...everyone loves her...she play ball with the kids ..I think its their silly screaming and running that stars her off...she does stop as soon as we shout though...but the kids sometimes cry as they ger a bit overwhelemed by her jumping up and nipping...always near their face too...as I said better this weekend/...so hopefully she will get used to them and calm down a bit....but I will contact J if it doesn't stop...thanks for the advice...both of you :)

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:05:04 pm »
I haven't met her but it does sound as though she is just being hyper - when kids are running around screaming it does affect them and as you said she is just being a puppy because she wasn't to be before she came to you.

She will calm down when she is fully settled into her routine and new life. As long as you keep correcting her and calming her down when she gets too silly :-* :-*
XX

Offline B.ORCHID

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:16:54 am »
Ruth advice spot on in my EXPERT ;) view Alison hyper kids well if you are puppy-like will mean Phoebe will follow suit so the nip is a bit of excitability.
Glad she is so happy and is loved wonderful  ;D

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:19:55 pm »
Yes...thakyou Ruth and Lorraine...she is so coming out of her shell now...had a guy round yesterday...about our soon to be log burner...anyway..he has a dog..so wasok with her...but she did the jumping up thing...no nipping...but wagging her tail in exceitment...she loves the fuss...once he fussed her I shouted NO PHOEBE..and pointed for her to sit down...and she did...and then layed down and was ok...I think we are still finding out about her...what she knows...etc...its only these last 2 weeks that she has been sitting when told...and you can tell she knew too....so its progress all the way...we have to leave news paper...or a puppy pad down when we go to work as she ...most times has dne a small package on it once I ger in from work...as I do feed ger at 4 am...then again at 3pm....we put her out before we go and she wees ..but not the other...so I suppose its just timming...she even goes to number 2 again when I take her out after work!!...LOL
But she is adorable..not a bad bone in her body bless her...so comical too...just like the rest of them....LOL...a typical Bullie...and we are so glad..like a breath of fresh air with the young madame...or should I say MAD DAME ;D...LOL

Offline BulliesRBest

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:35 pm »
we leave paper down in the kitchen if we are going to be out longer than usual.....luckily polls isn't usually left for long as she goes to work with rob or she is home with me on my days off........ they are all such characters  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline soosiesu

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 12:07:27 am »
not been onfor a bit..... how's nippy phoebs doing ;) ;) ;) :-*
Soosiesu

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:50 pm »
She is a lot better thankyou.....still  have to watch her  but is a lot better...thankgoodness..she just gets so exceited...she even does it to us when she jumps up on our laps if you keep fussing her she goes nuts...she is funny..but a bit of a loon with exceitment...she will get used to the kids...but we are very careful anyway...she will sit on the sofa with them fine...its when they run round like loons...she does the same and jumps up...but we firmly tell her NO...she does stop....may start again but stops each time we tell her...as the day goes on she gets better as the exceitment dies down...shes as good as gold when we are out in the woods or walking anywhere with the kids ...just trots along with them..not used to children..but she soon will be here...LOL :)

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:01 pm »
That sounds promising - she is young and the kids are getting over excited and she is too - it is good she is listening to you. She sounds adorable :-* :-*
XX

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 07:13:20 pm »
Yes...better still today...as soon as we tell her she stops and lays down...like submissive...so she knows...which is good,,,,and youre right Ruth...its just her getting used to them and all the mayhem....lol...darling  Toddy took it all in his stride...lucky him couldn't hear all the screaming...LOL

Online Clare Kearley

• Trusted Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 08:49:28 pm »
OH MY GOODNESS! I've been off the site for a bit - busy with the holidays etc etc
Firstly, WOW! You've got a Baby Girl!! Is it wrong for me to say I'm a bit jealous!!
I want her!!!
Congratulations on your newbie - she looks gorgeous - hope she is settling in well and your'e not getting chewed out of house and home!
Violet's Gotcha day was three weeks ago and we've had three years together now - it goes sooo quickly! How old is she? Im feeling broody  :-* :-* :-*

Online Clare Kearley

• Trusted Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 08:51:06 pm »
Actually! Just catching up see she's 3 years old!! She looks like a puppy to me (note to self - must get my eyes tested!!)
Ahhh Bless - hope it's going well xxx  :-*

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 06:25:10 pm »
She looks gorgeous doesn't she - she is a mini too - I have heard people say that the mini has a different temperament to the big bullies - but she sounds very similar to me LOL ;) ;) ;) ;)
XX