Gallery

My boy Archie

Viewed 85 Times

Recent Topics

Please Donate

Help us help Bull Terriers

THANK YOU!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2018, 01:15:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 59
  • Latest: fowlerj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 30265
  • Total Topics: 2432
  • Online Today: 49
  • Online Ever: 171
  • (November 11, 2012, 05:25:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Author Topic: Skin cancer in dogs  (Read 51 times)

Offline Ruth

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Skin cancer in dogs
« on: May 16, 2018, 03:49:36 pm »
https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/960253/pet-cancer-warning-summer-melanoma-risk

Pets with light coloured or short fur as well those with exposed skin on the belly or around the muzzle are also at risk from sun damage.

Veterinary charity PDSA is advising owner to use of pet-safe sun creams that are recommended by vets on their animals, with the focus on protecting the nose and ears.

Any sores or ulcers should be checked by a vet as early diagnosis and treatment may save a pet’s life, it adds.

PDSA vet, Olivia Anderson-Nathan, said: “Although we might be aware of the risks of the sun to ourselves, many owners are unaware that our pets face the same dangers of sunburn, heatstroke and even skin cancer.”

The PDSA is highlighting the story of Bobby the white cat who had to undergo emergency surgery to remove the tips of his ears after he was diagnosed with skin cancer.
Ruth & Archie & Lucy (RIP)
XX

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Skin cancer in dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:30:00 pm »
Oh god.....not good....Phoebe has lots of  of black like inky markings all over her belly..and under her fur,,,i suppose its like pigmentation...shes always had them since weve had her...but her nose goes pink...under her fur in the sun...and she is a madame for laying in it too...even though she pants with the heat!!!...Can you get sun cream for dogs...or can you you the stuff that we use ???...does anyone know ???...cos that's the line were thinking of going down...as hard to keep her out of it when the weather is nice as she wants to be in the garden...especially when I am out there doing stuff..i would have to shut her indoors...if this is happening to our animals surely someone must have come up with a cream you can safely use on their exposed parts ???...thanks for the update though Ruth...poor little kittle with the clipped ears..but at least its life was saved!!!

Offline BulliesRBest

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:36:26 pm »
I use kids sunblock on pollys nose and ears........... I do call her in when I think she has been out in the sun for too long.....when she is all pink :o :o :o

will take more care I think............thanks for the warning ???

Offline soosiesu

• Trusted Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:47:33 pm »
i always put sun screen on marleys nose when it was hot sun........bless him.............it must be a bullie trait all that sun bathing...

he would have loved all this gorgeous sun :'( :'(
Soosiesu

Offline the Londons

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:53:10 pm »
Aw...bless...Soosiesu :-*